Saturday, October 11, 2008

Birthday Muffins For My Husband

My husband's birthday was a week ago, but our schedules were hectic and he had a cold at the time, so we have designated this as his birthday weekend. In honor of that I decided we could start it off with some home made muffins. Again, I turned to my copy of Granny's Muffin House for basics and for inspiration I turned to my Guides. Here's what happened:

Mix together dry ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar

Mix together wet ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sour cream (I didn't have a cup, so we used what we had)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp of vanilla
a handful of crushed walnuts
a handful of Craisins which are cranberries that have been dried and look like raisins (the guides wanted me to use up some old prunes we had in the refrigerator, but I balked at that idea and opted for the cran-raisins instead)

I mixed the wet into the dry ingredients and right away realized it wasn't wet enough! Yikes. So, as I was reaching for the milk one of the guides suggested I get the half and half instead. I know this isn't the proper way to mix up muffins, but hey, it was an emergency and it worked out fine. I splashed about 1/4 cup worth of half and half onto the already mixed up dough and mixed it around some more. It was fine. So, the 1/4 cup of sour cream that was missing needed to be replaced by something and that something was the half and half.

I piled high 12 muffin cups (lined with baking papers) and baked them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.

Very yummy.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Sorry! Happy Birthday to Hubby!!! Happy night sweetie!!hughugs